Android may be complicated. There are lots of completely different variations, and plenty of of them are nonetheless operating on units immediately. Maintaining with the most recent model could be a problem, however fret not—we have now you coated.
Main Android variations are usually launched as soon as per 12 months (although it wasn’t at all times like this), with month-to-month safety updates launched in between. Sometimes, Google additionally releases level updates (.1, .2, and so on.), although these usually come with out regularity. Oftentimes, extra important updates that aren’t fairly as important as full model releases warrant some extent replace—just like the replace from Android 8.Zero to Android 8.1, for instance.
Alongside each model of Android is a code identify, which many individuals use as an alternative of the model quantity. Each is known as after a dessert or another type of confection, which is extra for enjoyable than the rest.
A Transient Android Model Historical past
We thought it becoming to offer a quick rundown of every Android model on the accompanying code identify and launch date. You realize, for completeness.
- Android 1.5, Cupcake: April 27, 2009
- Android 1.6, Donut: September 15, 2009
- Android 2.0-2.1, Eclair: October 26, 2009 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.2-2.2.3, Froyo: Might 20, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 2.3-2.3.7, Gingerbread: December 6, 2010 (preliminary launch)
- Android 3.0-3.2.6, Honeycomb: February 22, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.0-4.0.4, Ice Cream Sandwich: October 18, 2011 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.1-4.3.1, Jelly Bean: July 9, 2012 (preliminary launch)
- Android 4.4-4.4.4, KitKat: October 31, 2013 (preliminary launch)
- Android 5.0-5.1.1, Lollipop: November 12, 2014 (preliminary launch)
- Android 6.0-6.0.1, Marshmallow: October 5, 2015 (preliminary launch)
- Android 7.0-7.1.2, Nougat: August 22, 2016 (preliminary launch)
- Android 8.0-8.1, Oreo: August 21, 2017 (preliminary launch)
- Android 9.0, Pie: August 6, 2018
- Android 10.0: September 3, 2019
- Android 11.0: September 8, 2020
As you’ll be able to see, the replace system was with none type of regularity early on, however the Ice Cream Sandwich period began the yearly OS model replace schedule.
Just a few different enjoyable notes:
- Honeycomb was the one tablet-specific model of Android, and it ran alongside the Gingerbread construct for telephones. The separate cellphone and pill OSes had been then mixed beginning with Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Ice Cream Sandwich was arguably probably the most dramatic replace to Android up to now. It not solely mixed the pill and cellphone variations of the OS, however utterly overhauled the appear and feel of the system.
- Google initially launched developer-focused Nexus units to spotlight every Android model’s energy. This finally developed into the consumer-focused Pixel machine line we have now immediately.
- Android KitKat marked the primary time Google teamed up with a business producer for an Android launch. They did it once more for Android Oreo.
The Newest Model of Android is 11.0
The preliminary model of Android 11.Zero was launched on September 8, 2020, on Google’s Pixel smartphones in addition to telephones from OnePlus, Xiaomi, Oppo, and RealMe.
Not like early variations of Android, this model doesn’t have a cute dessert identify—or some other kind of identify past the model quantity. It’s simply “Android 11.” Google nonetheless plans to make use of dessert names internally for growth builds. For instance, Android 11 was code-named “Crimson Velvet Cake.”
As with Android 10 earlier than it, Android 11 contains a variety of new user-facing modifications and options. Most outstanding is a built-in display recorder, good residence controls within the energy menu, revamped media controls, and a devoted house for messaging notifications.
Easy methods to Examine Your Model of Android
Right here’s the enjoyable half about Android: how you discover out even the best data varies relying not solely what model of Android your cellphone is operating, but in addition who manufactured the machine.
However we’ll preserve it so simple as attainable right here. Go forward and open your cellphone’s setting menu by knocking down the notification shade, after which tapping the cog icon.
From there, scroll to the very backside of the menu and faucet the “About Telephone” entry (it might additionally learn “About Gadget”). In case your cellphone doesn’t have this feature, it’s in all probability operating Oreo, which acquired a reasonably dramatic Settings overhaul. In that case, search for the “System” choice.
There must be an entry for Android Model—once more, relying on the machine and Android model, it might be completely different. On Oreo, you could find the model data below the “System Replace” part.
Easy methods to Replace to the Newest Model
The brief reply can be an unlucky one: you may not be capable of.
Android updates are first dealt with by the producer of your cellphone—so Samsung is chargeable for its updates, LG handles updating its cellphone, and so forth. The one updates dealt with by Google itself are for Pixel and Nexus units.
To see if there’s an replace obtainable in your machine, head into Settings > About Gadget > System Updates (or comparable). Once more, this can be in a unique place relying in your cellphone—Samsung places the System Updates choice within the root of the Settings menu, for instance.
Tapping this feature will verify for an replace on the machine, however there’s a great likelihood it received’t discover something. As quickly as an replace is accessible in your cellphone, it usually notifies you of that reality, and prompts you to obtain and set up it proper then.
The one surefire method to ensure you’ll get the most recent model of Android is to purchase from the Pixel line. Google updates these telephones instantly, and so they’re usually updated with the most recent main model and safety patches.